The trend of new and different releases of “Star Wars” movies continues with “The Force Awakens,” as a new Collectors Edition 3D Blu-ray release is coming this fall, with some new special features, deleted scenes, and what I’m most excited about, audio commentary from J.J. Abrams!
The four-disc 3D Collectors Edition sees release staring on October 31st, and will hit in the United States and Canada on November 15th. Here are all the details on the new special features and worldwide release dates from StarWars.com:
3D COLLECTOR’S EDITION BONUS FEATURES*:
- Audio Commentary with J.J. Abrams – Enter the mind of visionary director J.J. Abrams as he reveals the creative and complex choices made while developing the first film in the new Star Wars trilogy.
- Foley: A Sonic Tale – Foley artists, consisting of old pros and new talent, unite to bring the world of Star Wars: The Force Awakens alive through the matching of sound to action.
- Sounds of the Resistance – Hear how the epic sound design of Star Wars: The Force Awakens moves the Star Wars legacy forward.
- Deleted Scenes – View never-before-shared scenes that didn’t make the film’s final cut.
- Dressing the Galaxy – Costume designer Michael Kaplan reveals how the costumes of the original Star Wars movies were re-envisioned for a new generation.
- The Scavenger and the Stormtrooper: A Conversation with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega – The two new stars share the thrill of working together on the adventure of a lifetime and becoming part of the Star Wars legacy.
- Inside the Armory – Take a fascinating tour through the design and creation of the weaponry in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from the April release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens include the complete story behind the making of the film, an unforgettable cast table read, insights from legendary composer John Williams, and deleted scenes, as well as features that dig deeper into the creation of new characters such as BB-8, the design of the climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren, the film’s remarkable digital artistry, and the Star Wars: Force for Change global aid initiative.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D Collector’s Edition global release dates include:
- Australia – Nov. 9
- Brazil – Nov. 16
- Germany – Nov. 24
- Holland – Oct. 31
- Italy – Nov. 2
- Spain – Nov. 2
- Sweden – Oct. 31
- US and Canada – Nov. 15
While it’s easy to say these new special features should have been included in the first Blu-ray release, I have no problem buying this new Collectors Edition for those new features, despite not caring about the 3D. I have bought multiple copies of the previous six films, and I’m not stopping now with Episode VII!
But how about you? Will you be getting this new Collectors Edition 3D release? Let us know!